Thursday, October 16, 2008

you can dress me up, but you can't...

I need a new wardrobe.

The final episode of Project Runway was last night followed by Tim Gunn's Guide to Style.
I finally stopped watching tv at 1am and went to bed grumpy and exhausted. Baby Ray and I had walked all over downtown FC putting up posters for my craft show. (by the way, I'm putting together a craft show) We were out for about 3 hours of straight walking (and he now weighs 16 lbs) I was pretty tired.

Anyway, back to my clothes.

I've never claimed to be a fashionista but I do remember a time when I thought of myself as fashionable. I used to sew my own clothes and I even owned 40 different pairs of shoes. Now I wear hand-me-downs and have 5 different colors of chuck taylors. I don't want to be uber-hip or trendy, I would just like to be able to wake up, go to my closet and have to choose what to wear, rather than stare blankly at my closet wishing an inspired thought would enter my brain. 

I have been sewing some cute clothes lately but unfortunately they are not breast feeding friendly. I guess the trade off for getting my figure back is needing to worry about whether I can easily whip out my boob or not. 

At the bottom of it all, I think being a momma has left me with this deep worry that now I look like a "mom". Which to me means tired, out of touch, and well, frumpy. Minivans and mom-jeans, you know? Or even Suburbans and soccer gear... 

I know I need to change that view. My momma never looked like that, in fact I totally admire her sense of style. I guess I really just want some clothes that make me feel like a beautiful woman. Not like a college student, not like a little girl, not lazy or clueless, but something that would grace the pages of anthropologie.

Well, here's to wishing.

xo
 


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Your comment made my day! It has been such an emotional week telling our friends about our plans. Then seeing the sign go up in our yard was really hard. It is so nice to know I'll have a friend when we move! (who knows how fast that will happen though) We'll rebel against mini vans and mom jeans together!

Anonymous said...

Hey Whitney! I have NEVER done the mini van and mom jeans thing and my son loves it! He used to feel a little awkward I think because his mom is so different but then he realized, "hey, wait a minute; I'M different too!"
It's real easy to dress in comfortable clothes and spend all your effort on the little ones. Just remember, if YOU don't look good, THEY don't look good!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate, and I'm not even a mom yet. I'm in a career-life transition, and I weigh 15 pounds more than I did in the days of my last wardrobe makeover. ...Fort Collins library (North location) has a book by the fellas who own Visual Therapy in NYC. There are some pretty good tips and perspectives about how to "recapture" your personal style when it starts to break down (or feels completely lost). It's worth checking out.