Thursday, July 3, 2008

my sunshine


priorities.

ok. ok. I think I understand.  
When I make this little man my number one priority for the day, not only do things go much smoother but I actually end up accomplishing more than I thought I could. 

It isn't always easy.
 
This usually means stopping whatever I am doing (cooking, eating, etsying, writing this post) at a not-so-convenient point and really taking the time to figure out what he needs.

I mean really taking the time to figure out what he needs.

Today this meant an impromptu walk around the neighborhood. It rained last night and the air was nice and cool and in the end it was a delightful little walk. And honestly I would not have stopped to take it if it were not for him. But it's hard to pause. Sometimes I have to consciously make myself stop and refocus. It's even harder when I'm tired. I never realized how short my patience is when I'm sleep deprived. Luckily, he has a relatively short list of issues: Food. Sleep. Diaper. Entertain. Comfort.

And really, at the end of the day, aren't those needs the same as all of ours?

I love it when someone stops and asks how I am and then honestly listens to the answer.  
I figure that's the least I can do for him.

xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're listening to some pretty important things! And your heart too.