Friday, August 22, 2008

drowning in tens

the home repair elves 
(those two in the back never get anything done)


I have figured out what is creating the feeling of unrest in my daily life. 

hello. my name is whitney and i am a procrastinator.

Not only am I a procrastinator, but it seems my wonderful husband is also suffering from the same disease (of course he is, no other pair would be able to put up with each other's excuses rationale the way we do). Anyway we were talking in the park yesterday about moving and building our dream house when it hit me that the real reason our current house feels so unfinished is because it isn't finished. 

We tackle every project with gusto, we work our tails off, until we get about 90% finished, and then we stop and leave the last 10% undone, secretly hoping that the little house project elf will come and finish it for us. 

The back side of our house? unpainted. 
The pile of stuff that needs to be put in storage? still sitting outside. 
The siding on the front of the studio? maybe next weekend. 
The riding lawn mower in the driveway? still broken. 
The hot tub out back? still leaking.
The landscaping? at least dirt doesn't need watering.
The doorbell? let them knock.

We're two plastic flamingos and a couple of busted cement figurines away from being that house.

So our new game plan is to tackle as many tens as we can each weekend until they're all gone. Then and only then will we start a new project. 

Wish us luck. 

xo

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I understand, because I too am a procrastinator. However, (here's where I rationalize that it's ok) there are only so many hours in each day, and some things just don't make it to the top of the daily (or weekly or monthly or yearly) priority list. I love and live by this quote. This guy must have been pretty smart!


The Three Rules of Life

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.

2. From discord, find harmony.

3. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.


~ Albert Einstein