Tuesday, July 22, 2008

ch ch ch ch chocolate


The best chocolate cake:

Before Payday Cake

Sift into a bowl: 
1 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 Tbl cocoa powder

Mix well. 

Make 3 holes in the dry ingredients and add:
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl vinegar
6 Tbl salad oil (canola, safflower..)

Pour over all:
1 C warm water

Mix very well.

Bake 325 degrees - 25 minutes - 9x9 square pan

And finally, I have found the best chocolate frosting recipe to go with it:

1 C sugar
6 Tbl corn starch
4 Tbl cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 C water
2 Tbl oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, corn starch, salt and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
Whisk in the water.
Heat over medium heat until it gets thick and starts to boil about 1-2 minutes (not too long or it will turn into taffy)
Remove from heat and stir in oil and vanilla.
Cool and spread on cooled cake.

And on top of it all it is completely vegan. 
I'm not, but some people are.

Even better than that, this cake just gets yummier day after day.

xo

1 comment:

tara said...

i can't figure out how to find you - well I found you, but I can't find a way to get to you. I wasn't really wanting to post a comment under the ch ch ch ch chocolate, but if I have to I might just ask for a small bite of your chocolate cake. can you send me an e-mail so I can then send one back to you?? miss you and want to wish you a belated very happy anniversary.