Friday, July 25, 2008

a chance encounter


Me and the little man went on a long walk yesterday. We left the house early, while it was still cool outside and walked along a part of the bike trail that I had never been on. At one point there was this funny square of land with a tall chain link and barb wire fence all around it. 

As we approached, I tried to figure out why it was fenced like it was, then I noticed that it had a gate and that it was open. It actually looked like the gate hadn't been locked in some time. While passing by I took one more glance inside the gate and I saw two big ears and two little eyes looking right back at me. 

I stopped in my tracks and a small fawn hopped up to her feet. Her back leg was hurt badly, I think she had been hit by a car. She jumped up and ran into the back corner of the fenced area. I was concerned that maybe her leg was hurt very badly and that maybe she didn't know how to get out of the fence. In retrospect, I'm sure she knew how to get out, but at the time I thought maybe I should call animal control, I mean, she was so small. 

So, I followed her into the fenced area to try and see how badly she was hurt. I didn't want to scare her any more than I already had so I stayed far away and walked very slowly. About 10 steps into the gated area another little fawn popped his head up! I like to imagine that he was her brother; looking out for her until her leg healed.

I stopped right where I was and just stood still and watched. The new little fawn was jumping around and puffing his chest out, being very protective, I didn't want to scare them any more so I just stayed still. The boy took one last bounce and then bolted out of the gate. Well, now I felt really bad. What if she couldn't get out and now her brother had left her too! So I very slowly started to walk around behind her while clicking my tongue. As I did this she moved closer and closer to the gate until AHA! She realized she could get out and ran after her brother. 

It was the coolest.

These sweeties were only up to my thigh, they were still so small but their ears were so big! They had the most beautiful spots on their coats. I can't believe I was lucky enough to see one fawn up close much less two!

Our little walk reminded me of a story people story I had just read:

"She left pieces of her life behind her everywhere she went. It's easier to feel the sunlight without them, she said."

xo

No comments: