Tuesday, September 9, 2008

maturity is overrated

There are a few places that for me are completely saturated in personal history. I can't comfortably visit these towns without feeling somewhat oppressed by the memories. 

I found myself in one of these towns yesterday. Baby Ray needed to change his stinky pants and momma needed a cupppa joe for the road. I debated stopping because there was (always is) a good chance that I could run into some people I don't necessarily want to see. But I was feeling particularly mature so I decided to stop. (I even imagined the pride I might feel introducing them to my son). Anyway, diaper changed, coffee bought and no chance encounter. 
I felt for lack of a better word, proud. 
I faced my fear and felt like I had finally made peace with this town.


Then I saw the police sirens flashing in my rearview mirror.


You no-good, piece of junk of a town. 
Four points and $80 later I left feeling a little gypped.

xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course you were probably going faster than the said! Hope the cuppa joe was good, I'm sure Ray was thankful!

Jenny said...

Oooohhh.... I know how you feel on that "hometown feeling!" That cop just wanted your coffee! Today HAS to be better... right??